Effective August 1, 2023, the British Columbia, Ministry of Transportation will be implementing the Electronic Logging Device (ELD) mandate for HOS. The Logging and Forestry Industry standards are different from regular HOS.
Here’s what you need to know:
- You can have a maximum of 13 hours of driving time in a 24-hour period or work shift.
- Cannot drive after 15 hours of on-duty or elapsed time since the start of the work shift.
- Must have at least 9 hours of off-duty time between shifts.
- Must not drive after 65 driving hours in seven days.
- Must not drive after 80 hours of on-duty in seven days
- Must be off duty at least 24 consecutive hours every seven days (Note: Logger HOS does not reset but continue to be a rolling 7-day total).
- Must have a logbook, regardless of the distance travelled (when operating under the standard HOS rules, you usually do not need to use the logbook if you work within the 160 km radius of your home terminal).
- Have to indicate that they are “operating under logging truck hours” in the logbook Remarks section.
- Cannot defer off-duty time.
Universal logbook rules that apply to most carriers (including loggers) are:
- keep your last six months of logs at your business place.
- You can use your commercial motor vehicle for personal use for 75 km.
- Keep your previous 14 days of logs in the truck.
Transitioning to an ELD from paper does not have to be a complex process. The Guardian ELOG was designed to emulate the old paper process of reporting hours closely to facilitate the transition to an ELD tablet. Whether fleets have 1 or 500 drivers in your fleet, the Guardian tablet was designed to ensure that even someone with less knowledge of technology can run the Guardian ELOG with ease.
Access to the Guardian Dashboard allows Fleet and Safety Managers to keep their team compliant. With an ease-of-use login system, you will be able to track drivers’ hours, active vehicles, Inspection reports and more.
Reach out to one of our team members today and let us help you find a solution for your ELD needs.
email@example.com or 780-455-9876 / 1-888-235-0244